Harrow Early Years Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) Team (0-5 years)
The Harrow Early Years SEND Team provide a service which supports Private, Voluntary, and Independent nurseries (PVI), childminders and school nurseries. Their service is provided through advice and practical support around approaches to identification, assessment and intervention of SEN children within the SEN Code of Practice 2014.
As part of the Local Authority we comply with the following regulations:
- Equalities Act (2010)
- Children’s & Families Act Section 3 (2014)
- Statutory Framework for the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS 2021)
- Special Educational Needs and Disability Code of Practice 0-25 (2014)
What does the service provide?
Within Harrow Early Years, the SEND team offer a number of services, including:
- Supporting the inclusion of children with additional needs into a setting.
- Developing early years practice within the PVI sector, childminders and up to the end of reception class.
- Adopting the graduated approach with the 4 stages of action:
- Advising and supporting with the completion of forms including inclusion funding, transition, 2 year old checks, EHC (Education, Health and Care) plan and referrals to other professionals e.g. Health services.
- Writing reports that incorporate advice and strategies for the staff (keyperson) to support the individual child.
These are to be shared with parents and other professionals involved with the child
- Provide support for setting based named SENCOs to ensure arrangements are in place to support children with SEND through training and Senco Surgeries
- Support strengthening links between the settings, parents, schools, and social care and health services.
- Support the development and delivery of training.
By working closely with PVI settings, childminders and school nurseries, who incorporate strategies through early intervention, this will endeavour to give the children the best start in their early years and to prepare for child readiness.
How we work
Using the multi-agency referral system within Harrow;
- We are contacted regarding concerns around the child’s:
- communication and language
- cognition and learning
- social, emotional or mental health
- sensory/physical needs
- This service is accessed by settings that have concerns about the child’s learning and developmental needs.
- With parental permissions via the setting, meetings are arranged to discuss the child’s strengths and needs. If required an observation of the child will be carried out along with the key person and strategies/next steps will be set.
- Signposting to other appropriate professional services, if required.
- A follow up visit may be arranged and discussions held to continue monitoring the individual child, ensuring that strategies are being implemented and reviewed.
If you would like to know more about our work, would like to access the service, or have any further questions, you can contact us between 8.30 am – 4.30 pm, Monday to Friday:
Harrow Early Years SEND (0-5 years)
Harrow Civic Hub